These are some of the best resources I have ever seen in my teaching career so far… doing for Class. Civ. what the CLC has done for Latin…Mark Knowles
Head of Classics, Ashville College
These resources are so good they really should be the standard. I am forever grateful to you for sharing.Simon Beasley, @economysir
You are doing the work of the gods!St Gabriel’s Classics, via Twitter
I have been teaching the Myth and Religion and Homeric World/Odyssey topics since the inception of the new OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation specification, and writing and re-writing resources to suit the wide range of ability of my students. I wrote about the course for Quinquennium in two posts: The Teacher’s View and How I Taught The Course .
These Dropbox folders, currently shared with 15 different schools also teaching these Units, represent an updated (and updating) set of resources for teaching the entire course, with the occasional help of the Bloomsbury textbook. I am extremely pleased to have also had them shared by Advocating Classics Education (ACE) and included on the Classics For All Resources page for recommended use by new teachers setting up Classics in their schools.
Please feel free to use the resources yourself by opening the Dropbox links and downloading the files for your use. I would appreciate you letting me know how you get on with them, and whether they work for you, either by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org or in the comments below!
What you’ll typically find in each topic:
- PowerPoint lessons going through the topics
- Topic-specific pupil notesheet packs (workbooks) to accompany PowerPoint lessons (.pub, .pdf for printing .doc or typable .pdf for computer-users/remote teaching)
- Separate folders containing the Prescribed Sources, with additional PowerPoints on each of the visual sources and footnotes literary sources
- Topic vocabulary sheets
- Prep/Homework tasks based on exam-style assessment
- Exemplar work for prep/homework tasks
- Additional assessment – original Mock papers
- Essay help and exemplars
- You will also find Quizlets for each topic at https://quizlet.com/lejenkinson/folders
If you’d like to be notified when these resources are updated or added to, please leave your email below (or hit ‘follow’ if you’re a wordpress user) 🙂
If you need more,
- Greek Myth Comix resources can help, such as Odyssey Book 1 (and other books) Comix, Odysseus and Gladiators paper dolls, the Olympians Colouring Book and The Trojan War Playset, all for download and print.
- There are also a TON of FREE Myth comics at GreekMythComix.com , including a list that are specifically useful for the GCSE.
- The Greek Myth Comix Youtube site has a growing selection of videos for learning and revision, including for the Remote Learning and Teaching situation we now find ourselves in!
Exam and essay-writing help: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kc13123wrjni2o/AACAgHiEmQTjuSo7pJMIHX5na?dl=0
Essay coversheet examples: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40youmzlh8cznmu/AABYXVBPn0qSEAKH5yIhnAzma?dl=0
Myth and Religion:
1 The Gods Greece and Rome https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oylo4y0qg7jlity/AAC8_Z3hiZbiu6o2909eyfkPa?dl=0
2 Religion and the City: Temples https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7mqpsywha09bw6l/AABIIKL_a2eJXkMpAeV6yM6Xa?dl=0
3 Religion and the City – Festivals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/syt8hnuk29w6jmg/AABe8ujrFNdkaTnnzlAmP3QHa?dl=0
4 Death and Burial https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pl948auloun29tw/AAA3hpkoaetvLo7xZarLRcdja?dl=0
Videos: Greek death and burial https://youtu.be/CbJcERjhfQc
Roman death and burial https://youtu.be/U97xksFp28g
5 Journeying to the Underworld https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gh6mwu1xktsyvnj/AADewkwkLihn6ZCVv6jHluiIa?dl=0
6 Heracles / Hercules, the Universal Hero https://www.dropbox.com/sh/np5kgs41687ft60/AACfuz0A4Dsl0omungcqKfTja?dl=0
Videos: Heracles 1: https://youtu.be/PnDW-XLUoSo
Heracles 2: https://youtu.be/X2-7CvTPhic
Heracles 3: https://youtu.be/tMxGkSlxI_E
7 Foundation Stories https://www.dropbox.com/sh/227hvrjmco9ras5/AAAV6yDjWT5-Rp2MsZBVRdpma?dl=0
Prescribed Visual Sources – Greece https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1xfsw7uk54acn7e/AAB3HhyzGJAkYvFebMxBOBIWa?dl=0
Prescribed Visual Sources – Rome https://www.dropbox.com/sh/53e9aqayslx2d4h/AABq2t-t1Nyx2CwaM1Ib40U6a?dl=0
Prescribed Literary Sources – Greece and Rome https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ch44i16alirq2sp/AADpYFQr98deQy2_pVlOGLMia?dl=0
1 Homeric World introduction https://www.dropbox.com/sh/28qozo23weolxhs/AACGse32KMpv0UdPThc6Ls5ua?dl=0
ii Homeric World sources https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g26gale2duuet1b/AAAxNP38feqL0BZCPmgpkoXpa?dl=0
iii Homeric World assessment and bumpf (to be added to) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qb6uk45g7bzv3ps/AAAAUlK1570NmKdiiUPko8lpa?dl=0
2 Life in Mycenaean Age https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6a0umr2ugkaj6a0/AABDeyCTdBTG-xiO3QZLqtQya?dl=0
- Remote teaching files with narration https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rw167rrenbjcdcx/AACbCrpWTEeVtAdVsBx6R5Laa?dl=0
- Remote teaching files with narration https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zrduo72tn5fiwyq/AAD9Jq6YswUQnHhpVTleJzKia?dl=0
4 Tombs, Graves and Burial https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z7x4n6b71d5rm07/AAB6OZ3RxpdoBBvAzlweEOfTa?dl=0
– remote teaching files with narration https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5vwyc6euc0rtxab/AAAvFsYhjTtTvxvvtWOOn9aSa?dl=0
2 i Odyssey text annotated https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xf7w9qhui835923/AABv1QO9KBeZJHayCvlNhrEta?dl=0
4 Odyssey Topic Discussion https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fz3dn9w2iebbo3k/AAApgONPcprWfHjU9EbKXzVJa?dl=0
5 Odyssey Lit Essays (more to come) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j1pzgwdawdwympu/AAAM_pb_GwI3SZEvJdLRdNu5a?dl=0
6 Odyssey Revision https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0dv34foxr8s7dv2/AADEh3NDKpYl-D1Uwo05DibZa?dl=0
Explaining Classical Literature: Odyssey Book 9 parts 1, 2, 3 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN36Hwtm4-c3H7sEtw_vwPh-RzvF0Z12L
Explaining the Greek Myths: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN36Hwtm4-c0u1c-qnFEmUPbUKyisxQwx
More resources to be added as they are made. Sign up above for updates!